A Brief History of the Craven Arms & Enborne.
The Craven Arm Pubic House is set in the small village of Enborne close to Newbury in West Berkshire. The Pub definitely dates back to the early 18th century and most likely even earlier.
In the mid-nineteenth century the pub was acquired by the Craven estate and renamed The Craven Arms. Previous to this the pub was known as the Three Horseshoes.
The village of Enborne over the centuries has had many irregular spellings, including Anebourne in 1086, and Enbourne, Enborn, Enbourn in the last 200 years. It shares its name with the River Enborne which runs through the neighbouring village if Enborne Row. The river marks the southern limit of the parish, and also the county boundary with Hampshire.
On its eastern side is the historic market town of Newbury. To the north runs the river Kennet, the Kennet and Avon Canal (built in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century) and the Reading-to-Penzance railway line. For centuries the river marked the northern parish boundary but since 1991 it has been the railway. To the west of Enborne the ancient town of Hungerford can be found.
The civil parish measured 2,500 acres at the turn of the twentieth century but this has since been Reduce on the eastern side of the parish by the expansions of Newbury and Wash Common. The Village has about 200 houses and 500 parishioners.
Enborne parish church is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. Standing on a hill overlooking Newbury the church first appears in thirteenth-century records. Although it is believed to date back to Norman times. A restoration in 1878 exposed fourteenth-century wall paintings, one of which on the chancel wall, depicting the Annunciation, survives today.
Adjoining parishes in Berkshire include Hampstead Marshall, Speen, West Woodhay, Inkpen, Combe and Newbury, and in Hampshire: Highclere and East Woodhay.
The first recorded school in the village was a boy’s school founded by the rector of St Michael’s Church, Robert Brookes in 1598. In 1980 a school for disadvantaged London boys, Enborne Lodge School, was set up. It was funded at first by the Inner London Education Authority and then in 1990 by Lambeth council, who a decade later closed it. The only school currently in is Enborne Church of England Primary School which was founded in the 1820s.
The First Battle of Newbury, fought during the first English Civil War on 20 September 1643. Was between the Royalist army and Parliamentarian forces and saw much of its fighting on land surrounding Enborne. The battle is considered to be one of the most crucial of the Civil War by historians.
In the second half of the nineteenth century Enborne had an oil and bone mill on the canal. The village also supported a brick kiln, two blacksmiths and market gardening all of which have now disappeared.
A more in-depth article of the First Battle of Newbury can be found be found by following this link - Please click or Tap here.
A more in-depth history of Enborne can be found by following this link - Please click or Tap here.